2012 Dynamics SL Client Conference
Top Tips for Dynamics SL
(Click titles for tips)
- Adding Favorites is a way to simplify menu navigation
- Adding folders provides a way to organize favorites – similar to IE
- To add items to a folder (or screen group), you need to move the item above then back down in the list.
- You can add external applications (Excel, Word, NotePad) or URLs for web sites
- Attachments capabilities were just released in SL 2011, so while a new feature it is appealing.
- Attachments are configured by screen and table (with in the screen ) combination.
- Templates have existed for some time, but some people have not learned how to create them
- Templates also work for screens
- Using Customization Manager for a task such as this is a pretty ideal purpose for CM. Any change is saved in the database, and a simple property change like this is very durable in relation to upgrades.
- If you are new to Dynamics SL 2011, a new feature was added that allows for quickly searching the menu for a screen or report.
- The search is sensitive to where you start from – Home searches are the most comprehensive.
- Correcting a Journal entry in Dynamics SL 2011, is now easier than ever.
- Can select the option to reverse, or reverse and correct or just copy. While SL has always allowed for copying grid rows and pasting, this streamlines the process.
- Note: this is only for GL journal entries, not entries from subsidiary modules like AP or AR, as though modules need to be corrected from within themselves typically, not just at the G/L level.
- In Dynamics SL, each report shown on the menu has up to 8 different formats available (typically 1 or 2 though). If you have certain reports where you never use the other formats, and you want to default the report to run for a certain format, this can be accomplished from in the “Report Control Maintenance” application (Administration module).
- NOTE: Changes here need to be documented, as service packs and upgrades may overwrite changes you make to standard reports.
- Starting in Dynamics SL 7, the menu system because more flexible and configurable. You now have the ability to completely change the menu to organize it as you see fit.
- Screens that exist (whether stock or custom) can be added to as many different menus as you wish. This offers the flexibility that if you have a screen that use from a module (like Shared Information) that you seldom access, it can be added easily to a module group that you do use regularly.
- While we are very excited about Quick Query it is a very new product. With that in mind, features will be added to it as feedback is received from you the customer base. One area of feedback that recently brought a new feature is “Paging” of data.
- Some clients have large transaction counts – paging limits the amount of data returned at one time, so performance is improved.
- Turning this on can be done for all users at once by changing the Solomon.INI file on the server.
- Just like Templates, you may find that you have created Filtered Views That you know longer want or need.
- While getting rid of them is not required, it can be useful housekeeping.
- Deleting is not necessarily obvious.
- Another cool new feature in SL is the ability to quickly export a grid to Excel.
- While copy/paste has always existed, the new export creates a more formatted output with column headings and filtering already turned.
- This is useful for sending data from SL to non-SL users.