How to Print a Remittance Advice in Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central
- Install the free, Microsoft-provided Send Remittance Advice by Email
- From the Vendor Ledger Entry page, highlight a Payment line and run the Send Remittance Advice function either to email or print the remittance advice report.
In Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central it’s easy to print off a vendor remittance advice report — as long as you have the free Microsoft-provided Send Remittance Advice by Email extension installed.
Microsoft’s documentation outlines how you can email or print the remittance advice reports. Emailing the report is a nice feature, but the nicest thing about having this extension installed is that it makes the remittance advice report accessible and easy to run. Accordingly, I will show you how to install the free extension and then use it to print a remittance advice for a payment.
How to Install the Free Send Remittance Advice Extension from Microsoft:
From the home page, expand the Setup & Extensions menu and click on the “Extensions” menu item.
From the Extensions page, click on “Manage” and then “Extension Marketplace.”
On the Extension Marketplace page, do a search for “send remittance.” Find the Send remittance advice by email extension and click on the “Get it now” button.
If you agree to the terms, click on the “Continue” button.
Choose your language and click on the “Install” button.
You’ll then receive a message telling you the extension was installed and that you should log out and log back in again to see the change. Click “OK.”
Side Note: At the time of this writing, after receiving the confirmation message show above, the language page displayed again. Just close this page by clicking on the “X” at the top right of the page.
The extension is now installed in your Business Central instance.
How to Print the Remittance Advice Report in Business Central:
Open the Vendor Ledger Entries page and highlight the Payment Document Type lines you want included in the report. Go to Actions, then Functions and finally Send Remittance Advice.
To generate the report and not send it via email, make the Email field equal “No” and the Disk field equal “PDF,” as shown below. Click “OK.”
Business Central will have you save the file. Let the download to your save location complete, and then open the file.
Viola! You now have a report that shows both your check number and the related vendor invoice numbers (unlike the Vendor Account Detail report).
- In order to install the extension, a user must have sufficient system permissions/access to do so.
- The remittance advice report shows invoices applied to the payment line as of the time the report is run. This means that what’s shown in the report might be different than the original remittance information related to the payment. E.g., if users have modified the payment’s applied entries, the remittance advice report results might not match the remittance information found on the check stub.
- The output format of this report depends on how you run the Suggest Vendor Payment function in the Payment Journal. If you run the Suggest Vendor Payment function with the Summarize per Vendor option checked, you’ll get results like I’ve shown above. If you do not use the Summarize per Vendor option, the output file will display one line for each Vendor Ledger Entry that is related to the payment. This means if you paid five invoices with one check, you’d have the check number listed five times, with one invoice shown as paid underneath the check line.
- If you don’t want to add this extension, you can run the Remittance Advice — Entries report via a crude hack. Basically, open theReport Layout Selections page and highlight the line for the Remittance Advice — Entries report (report ID 400). Click on “Report / Run Report,” set your filters, and click “Preview/Print.”
- If you are going to email this report, Business Central will require additional setups like those related to the SMTP Mail Setups, Document Sending Profiles, etc.
- Microsoft’s documentation indicates this extension is only available in the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa.