Today, I am going to show you how to install the Professional Services Tool Library and create a link to it in Microsoft Dynamics GP. However, please note that the tools in this package can only be used by the System Administrator (SA) user. You will have to be logged into GP as the SA user to complete the steps below.
To install the Professional Services Tools Library (PSTL):
- Navigate to the Windows Control Panel – Programs and Features. Select “Microsoft Dynamics GP” and click the “Change” button above.
- Click the “Add/Remove Features” button.
- Scroll down to the “Professional Services Tools Library.”
- Click on the red “x,” select “Run from My Computer,” and the red “x” will disappear.
- Click the “Next” button to install PSTL, and then click “Install” on the next window that appears.
To setup a link to access the Professional Services Tools Library (PSTL) within Dynamics GP:
- Click on the home tab in Dynamics GP. Right click in the area above the lists of modules on the left hand side of the window and select “Add.”
- Select “Add Window,” which will bring up the following window.
- Scroll down to “Technical Service Tools” and expand it by clicking on the “+” to the left of the name. Next, expand the “Project” option and select “Professional Services Tools Library.”
- Click the “Add” button and you will now see a link to it on the Home page of GP, right above the modules list on the left hand side of the window.
- The last step is to click on the link while still logged in as the SA user so it can load the database objects. Once it does that, it will launch the PSTL tool.
For information on what each tool in the library does, please contact your Microsoft partner. These tools are very useful. For example, the “Doc Date Verify” tool under the “Misc. Tools” section prevents users from entering a date on any transaction that is invalid, such as 03/06/2051 when it should have been 03/06/2015. It checks the Fiscal Period setup whenever a date is entered, and if it has not been setup, it will tell the user to correct the mistyped date before allowing them to continue entering the transaction.
It is important to note that some of these tools are very powerful and can make significant changes, so a backup is always recommended before using them.
For additional news and tips and tricks regarding Dynamics GP and ERP products, subscribe to our blog.